If you have found a pet, please fill out our Found Pet Form, so shelter staff can be notified of the missing pet in an effort to reunite them with their owner.
Helping a lost pet find its way home directly is the best for both the pet and its owner. Here are some tips for finding their home.
- Fill out Found Pet Form above
- Check that pet for a microchip. Most veterinary offices can scan for a microchip as well as our Athens Animal Rescue Shelter shelter.
- Post a picture of pet and location they were found on social media pages, Facebook Lost & Found Animal Groups (listed under Lost Pets Tab). Encourage friends to share the picture to help locate owner.
- Post to neighborhood groups, Swap and Shop pages, and Nextdoor app.
- Post lost pet to Craigslist.
- Put up Found Pet flyers in your neighborhood
- If you’ve found a litter of kittens, it’s best to leave them in the area with the mom who is caring with them. Check out Alley Cat Allies for resources to care for the litter and check out Spay Neuter clinics, like Friends of the Animals, for resources to get the cats altered.
- Contact your local Animal Control to pick up the stray(s)
We accept stray cats and dogs from Henderson County residents. There is a $40 animal fee for a single pet and $80 for a litter up to 6 animals (each additional puppy/kitten it is $10). Please complete our good samaritan surrender form and we will contact you to schedule a date to bring in the animal.
Call us at 903-292-1287
Email us at email@example.com.
Athens Animal Rescue Shelter
901 W. College Street,
Athens, TX 75751.
**Please note: Once an animal is brought to the shelter as a stray, it is on a stray hold for 3 days. After that period the animal is put up for adoption.